Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Philip Seymour Hoffman Praises his Mom

Best Actor Oscar-winner Philip Seymour Hoffman dedicated half of his acceptance speech to his Mom - who he had brought along for the evening.

After the standard list of Hollywood names and co-stars, he spoke about how much his mum has impacted his career:

“[M]y mom’s name is Marilyn O’Connor, and she’s here tonight. And I’d like if you see her tonight to congratulate her. Because she brought up four kids alone, and she deserves a congratulations for that.”

“… And she took me to my first play … her passions became my passions. And, you know, be proud, Mom, because I’m proud of you, and we’re here tonight, and it’s so good. Thank you.”

5 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

I liked his speech. And Reese's speech. I know many people find the Oscars boring, but not me! This was the best year for movies in years.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Miss V said...

Me Neither! Loved every minute of it...the after shows too!

4:22 PM  
Blogger S. Mortenson said...

I think he is the greatest actor of our generation... I have thought this a long time.

Seeing him so genuine up there, accepting his umteenth award for this role... he was trembling.. you could see that he is a humble guy. I actually wrote a bit about him in my photography blog today as well.

I was so glad to see him win, and hope it means he can have any role he wants now. So great to see someone TRULY TALENTED get the praise they deserve.

And, you know... Reese too. I remember seeing her in "Man in the Moon" maybe 10 or so years ago, and thinking "wow, this girl is going to be a big star". She was just a kid, but did an amazing job, and gained critical acclaim for that debut role.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous beth said...

this was the best part of the oscars. this and dolly p.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Miss V said...

What a nice comment S. Mortenson. thanks for taking the time!

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home